[S-fotografie] I: Vistas (Philadelphia, 15-18 Mar 18)

Silvia Paoli Silvia.Paoli a comune.milano.it
Sab 11 Feb 2017 23:13:27 CET

Ricevo e inoltro

Dr.Silvia Paoli
Conservatore Civico Archivio Fotografico
Civiche Raccolte Grafiche e Fotografiche
Musei del Castello Sforzesco
20121 Milano
Tel. +39.02.88463740
cell. +39.335.1428238

________________________________
Da: H-NET List on Art History/Die E-Mail-Liste fuer Kunstgeschichte im H-Net <H-ARTHIST a H-NET.MSU.EDU> per conto di H-ArtHist (Stefanie Stallschus) <stallschus a ARTHIST.NET>
Inviato: sabato 11 febbraio 2017 08.17
A: H-ARTHIST a H-NET.MSU.EDU
Oggetto: CFP: Vistas (Philadelphia, 15-18 Mar 18)

From: Maura Coughlin <mcoughli a bryant.edu>
Date: Feb 11, 2017
Subject: CFP: Vistas (Philadelphia, 15-18 Mar 18)

Philadelphia, March 15 - 18, 2018
Deadline: Sep 30, 2017

Vistas: 39th Annual Conference of the Nineteenth-Century

Studies Association
Philadelphia, March 15-18, 2018
Keynote: Elizabeth Milroy (Drexel University)

In honor of the 100th anniversary of Philadelphia’s Benjamin Franklin
Parkway, the NCSA committee invites proposals that explore the notion
of the vista in the nineteenth century. From personal gardens to public
parks, from the street level to the top of a skyscraper, or from the
microscope to the panoramic photograph, the nineteenth century was a
moment when the idea of the vista changed from a narrow sightline to a
sweeping, expansive view. How did theorists alter our historical
perspective, broadening our notion of the world through science or
religion? In what ways did power systems affect urban vantage points?
How did man-made vistas reflect socio-cultural ideals? How did domestic
spaces or nightlife transform with the widespread use of gas or
electric lighting? How does the conceptual vista operate
metaphorically? Topics might include horticulture, landscapes and
seascapes, new technology, photography, sightseeing, film and the
theater, urban planning, visions and dreamscapes, shifting perceptions
of the gaze, or literary or artistic descriptions or depictions of
viewpoints. In contrast, papers may consider the absence of vistas,
such as mental or physical confinement or elements that obfuscate a
view.

Please send 250-word abstracts with one-page CVs to
ncsaphila2018 a gmail.com by September 30th, 2017. Abstracts should
include the author’s name, institutional affiliation, and paper title
in the heading. We welcome individual proposals and panel proposals
with four presenters and a moderator. Note that submission of a
proposal constitutes a commitment to attend if accepted. Presenters
will be notified in November 2017. We encourage submissions from
graduate students, and those whose proposals have been accepted may
submit complete papers to apply for a travel grant to help cover
transportation and lodging expenses. Scholars who reside outside of
North America and whose proposals have been accepted may submit a full
paper to be considered for the International Scholar Travel Grant (see
the NCSA website for additional requirements: http://www.nscaweb.net).

Reference / Quellennachweis:
CFP: Vistas (Philadelphia, 15-18 Mar 18). In: H-ArtHist, Feb 11, 2017.
<https://arthist.net/archive/14762>.

H-ARTHIST
Humanities-Net Discussion List for Art History
E-Mail-Liste für Kunstgeschichte im H-Net

Editorial Board Contact Address / Fragen an die Redaktion:
hah-redaktion a h-net.msu.edu

Submit contributions to / Beiträge bitte an: