[S-fotografie] CFP: View, issue 7: Postcolonial Image Archives

Noiret, Serge Serge.Noiret a EUI.eu
Mar 13 Maggio 2014 17:49:15 CEST

>From H-ARTHIST,

-----------------

CFP: View, issue 7: Postcolonial Image Archives

Deadline: Aug 15, 2014

View. Theories and Practices of Visual Culture No. 7: Postcolonial Image Archives

“These archives smell of vinegar and not of ashes. They are not grey. Their colors are white, light blue and green, and sepia. These are not shades of total destruction but rather of an ongoing decay.” This poetic description by Tobias Hering concerns African film archives, their condition, and our (lack of) memory of them. It might also reveal a certain aspect of a Western way of thinking which forces us to represent postcolonial countries as colorful and entropic landscapes of ruin. However this image seems much more complex, multilayered and (while acknowledging the controversial status of this
term) hybrid. What is the character of the images sitting in these archives?

As a point of departure in issue 7 of “View” (3/2014) we would like to take precisely the colors and smells of non-European visual archives, and examine the narratives surrounding them. We would like to analyze the meaning of archiving / collecting / gathering in a context other than Western, and those discourses that allow one to speak of it. We would also like to address the ambivalence of Western narratives and images which depict the “postcolonial situation”: do they reveal more of ourselves than of the countries and problems they directly relate to? Last but not least, we would like to ask: is there such a thing as a “postcolonial image” what is it like?

We are especially interested in visual archives devoted to the postcolonial condition that are either institutional (e.g. Southern African Freedom Struggles, c.1950-1994) or private (e.g. Gadalla Gubara’s film archive), as well as projects dealing with the history and decline of postcolonial archives (eg. Filipa César’s work with Guinea-Bissau film archives), projects concentrated on the production of images in a postcolonial context (e.g. Jan Simon working in Nigeria, Catarina Simão undertaking the theme of film production in Mozambique), and projects devoted to images of postcolonial amnesia (e.g. Christine Meissner). We would also like to comment on images of
(postcolonial) ambivalence: both historical examples (such as the films of Jean Rouch, Chris Marker’s Sans Soleil, Glauber Rocha’s O Leão de Sete Cabeças), and contemporary (Renzo Martens’ Enjoy Poverty, Jørgen Leth’s Haiti. Untitled). We are also interested in institutional aspects of this phenomenon: in the way non-European museums of photography establish their collections (e.g. Instituto Moreira Salles), and the way “postcolonial images” and their curators (e.g. Okwui Enwezor) function in the art field.

Deadline for submitted texts: 15th August 2014.

For editorial and technical requirements, go to:
http://widok.ibl.waw.pl/index.php/one/about/submissions

In case of questions, email: redakcja a widok.ibl.waw.pl

For further information about the magazine:
http://widok.ibl.waw.pl/index.php/one/index

Reference / Quellennachweis:
CFP: View, issue 7: Postcolonial Image Archives. In: H-ArtHist, May 8, 2014. <http://arthist.net/archive/7660>.

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, forwarding, or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited without the express permission of the sender. If you received this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.